Taira Ueki Garden Scissors
Hand-forged, hand-laminated garden scissors from Taira san, in a slightly milder Yellow Paper Steel than his preferred Blue Paper, resulting in a tougher pair of scissors that will put up with a degree more mistreatment (not that you’ll be inclined to mistreat them) for more robust work.
Expect some play or ‘clack’ in the blades – this is intentional: the action of cutting with them applies lateral force which makes the blades bite correctly. Were they any tighter, the additional force from your hands would cause them to be unhelpfully tight in use.
Perfect in the garden and home, particularly for those with larger hands.
More about Taira
Taira san in his workshop in Sanjo. He’s been working here for 54 years, since he was 14, and has only recently taken on an apprentice, Junya Akiyama, who moved to Sanjo from near Tokyo for the experience. Taira san is one of the few scissor makers remaining who still hand-laminates his steel, working cross legged on the floor of his tiny forge.
Delivering to US (Paying in USD) Edit
Please note: By law, we are not permitted to sell a knife or blade to any person under the age of 18. By placing an order for one of these items you are declaring that you are 18 years of age or over. These items must be used responsibly and appropriately.
Taira Ueki Garden Scissors
- 190 x 110 x 20mm
- 55mm blades
- Max cut Ø7mm
- Kigami #3 Yellow Paper Steel
- Made in Sanjo, Japan
- In Stock - Available to dispatch worldwide, contact us for showroom stock availability
UK: (excluding Tripod Ladders)
- Free delivery for orders over £100*
- £4.00: Royal Mail tracked service - delivered by the postie, can be left in safe place, limited tracking info. Approx 2-5 working days.
- £7.50: DHL, FedEx, or UPS tracked service typically delivered next working day by 6pm (excluding Sat/Sun and UK Bank Holidays) for orders received before 12pm GMT Mon–Fri (excluding UK Bank Holidays).
Global: (excluding Tripod Ladders)
- Free delivery for orders over £/$/€100*
- Price depends on location - adjust the COUNTRY tab in your basket to see the price.
- We use DHL, FedEx, or UPS, and we’ll email you the tracking info.
*Customs fees may apply and are estimated during checkout. Surcharges may apply to some larger or heavier items to some areas.
* Please note Niwaki are not responsible for any import duty, taxes or fees incurred and these will be will be collected by our courier during customs clearance — For EU countries, when possible DHL will provide an estimate on the order confirmation page.
Caring For Your Tools
Most of our sharp tools are made from carbon steel - this means they will, through regular use, stain (and eventually rust) and gradually lose their edge. Caring for them involves three things…
1. Correct Use:
- Japanese steel is hard and sharp, and can be more brittle than some people are used to - it will chip if abused
- Do not cut wire, metal, stone, plastic or any other hard material (even bamboo fibres and some very hard woods, especially knots and burrs, can damage steel edges)
- Do not twist or apply uneven pressure
- Cut diagonally across branches (not straight across) so you cut along the fibres
- Pay attention to our maximum cut dimensions, and don’t overdo it (shears are not loppers)
- Use the base of the blades, not the tips, for heavier cuts
2. Keeping Them Clean:
- Remove leaf resin, rust and gunk with a Crean Mate and water
- Dry, wipe over with Camellia oil and store in a dry place
3. Keeping Them Sharp:
New tools won’t need sharpening for some time, but after a while you’ll notice them gradually lose their edge, especially if you’re box clipping (you need REALLY sharp blades to get a good finish with box). Use the Niwaki Sharpening Stones for best results (#1000 grit is best for general sharpening).
- Sharpen Secateurs every couple of weeks
- Sharpen Shears and Topiary Clippers EVERY TIME you use them - the difference is amazing
Taira Mekiri Scissors
Taira Kubo Scissors
Taira Okubo Scissors
Niwaki Daikiba Secateurs
Niwaki Mainichi Knife
Niwaki GR Pro Secateurs
Niwaki Hori Hori
Niwaki Forged Snips
Niwaki Kojima Work Jacket
Niwaki Tripod Ladder
Niwaki Garden Shears
Niwaki GR 210 Folding Saw