Hand Forged Damascus Hori Hori
Hand Forged by Masashi
When we asked Masashi san*, over a bottle of local Niigata sake, whether he would consider another run of his now-legendary hand-forged Hori Hori, there is no real record of what was agreed. This was some time ago now, possibly in the winter of 2017 (notable for its heavy snow in Niigata) or maybe even earlier that year, in the sweltering heat of (what every Japanese will tell you, every year) was a spectacularly hot summer, so imagine our surprise – disbelief even – when we got the message earlier this year, tagged on to the end of more trivial matters, ‘and oh by the way, your Hori Hori are ready soon’.
And here they are. Hand forged damascus clad SLD blades with Quince burl handles (that’s Pseudocydonia sinensis to you and me) and ironwood hilts, sheathed in heavy duty, hand-stitched holsters (hand stitched by none other than Mr Kotoh, our friendly pocket knife maker, who often finds himself roped in for special projects such as this.) Truly, truly delightful.
We’re never entirely sure who’s going to use these fine Hori Hori - they’ll work very well indeed for their intended purpose (digging, planting, weeding and general subterranean rummaging) but also make rather a splendid gift if you happen to need a ceremonial Hori Hori or want to make a lasting impression.
*Masashi, the blacksmith, is a man of many talents. Did you know he not only plays golf at semi-pro level, but is also a qualified children’s ski instructor, for example? His most appealing talents, however, become evident after-hours, and they tend to manifest themselves in the Izakaya and drinking dens of downtown Sanjo.
Please note: By law, we are not permitted to sell a knife or blade to any person under the age of 18. By placing an order for one of these items you are declaring that you are 18 years of age or over. These items must be used responsibly and appropriately.
Hand Forged Damascus Hori Hori
- SLD Steel
- Quince Burr handles
- Made in Japan
- Stock Unavailable (estimated dispatch from 28 Jun 2024)
UK: (excluding Tripod Ladders)
- Free delivery for orders over £100*
- £4.00: Standard service via Royal Mail Tracked 48; typically 2–5 working days.
- £7.50: Priority service via Royal Mail Tracked 24, DHL, FedEx, or UPS; typically delivered next working day by 6pm (excluding Sat/Sun and UK Bank Holidays) for orders received before 12pm GMT Mon–Fri (excluding UK Bank Holidays).
Global: (excluding Tripod Ladders)
- Free delivery for orders over £/$/€100*
- Price depends on location - adjust the COUNTRY tab in your basket to see the price.
- We use DHL, FedEx, or UPS, and we’ll email you the tracking info.
*Customs fees may apply and are estimated during checkout. Surcharges may apply to some larger or heavier items to some areas.
* Please note Niwaki are not responsible for any import duty, taxes or fees incurred and these will be will be collected by our courier during customs clearance — For EU countries, when possible DHL will provide an estimate on the order confirmation page.