Niwaki Higurashi Secateurs
For easy pruning all day long.
Drop-forged carbon steel secateurs for garden pruning, house plants and flowers. Lovely refined action, perfect for woodier stems in flower arrangements, as well as general garden pruning.
The chunky catch and slightly textured handles, along with the hard wearing carbon steel blade make these perfect for all day use.
Tightening Your Secateurs
Through regular use, Secateurs and Topiary Clippers can work a bit loose. Tightening them is straightforward but there’s a knack…
- Loosen the hexagonal nut (it’s a locking nut, so you don’t tighten it to tighten the play of the secateurs)
- Undo the bolt, clean the separate parts - a great opportunity to sharpen really well
- Rescrew the bolt, and tighten to what feels right. This is how you adjust the play, with the bolt, not the nut
- Put the locking nut back on
In theory it’s easy but in practice quite tricky, as the nut can seize up - be sure not to slip and scuff it (or your knuckles) with the spanner. If it seems too daunting, select the Sharpening Service and we’ll sort them out for you.
Please note: By law, we are not permitted to sell a knife or blade to any person under the age of 18. By placing an order for one of these items you are declaring that you are 18 years of age or over. These items must be used responsibly and appropriately.
Niwaki Higurashi Secateurs
- 204 x 51 x 20mm
- 55mm blades
- Max cut Ø10mm
- KA-70 Carbon Steel
- Made in Sanjo, Japan
- Includes Spare Spring
Single Holster • Standard
- 236 x 85 x 26mm
- 3mm Leather
- Made in China
- In Stock - Available to dispatch worldwide, contact us for showroom stock availability
UK: (excluding Tripod Ladders)
- Free delivery for orders over £100*
- £4.00: Royal Mail tracked service - delivered by the postie, can be left in safe place, limited tracking info. Approx 2-5 working days.
- £7.50: DHL, FedEx, or UPS tracked service typically delivered next working day by 6pm (excluding Sat/Sun and UK Bank Holidays) for orders received before 12pm GMT Mon–Fri (excluding UK Bank Holidays).
Global: (excluding Tripod Ladders)
- Free delivery for orders over £/$/€100*
- Price depends on location - adjust the COUNTRY tab in your basket to see the price.
- We use DHL, FedEx, or UPS, and we’ll email you the tracking info.
*Customs fees may apply and are estimated during checkout. Surcharges may apply to some larger or heavier items to some areas.
* Please note Niwaki are not responsible for any import duty, taxes or fees incurred and these will be will be collected by our courier during customs clearance — For EU countries, when possible DHL will provide an estimate on the order confirmation page.
Caring For Your Tools
Most of our sharp tools are made from carbon steel - this means they will, through regular use, stain (and eventually rust) and gradually lose their edge. Caring for them involves three things…
1. Correct Use:
- Japanese steel is hard and sharp, and can be more brittle than some people are used to - it will chip if abused
- Do not cut wire, metal, stone, plastic or any other hard material (even bamboo fibres and some very hard woods, especially knots and burrs, can damage steel edges)
- Do not twist or apply uneven pressure
- Cut diagonally across branches (not straight across) so you cut along the fibres
- Pay attention to our maximum cut dimensions, and don’t overdo it (shears are not loppers)
- Use the base of the blades, not the tips, for heavier cuts
2. Keeping Them Clean:
- Remove leaf resin, rust and gunk with a Crean Mate and water
- Dry, wipe over with Camellia oil and store in a dry place
3. Keeping Them Sharp:
New tools won’t need sharpening for some time, but after a while you’ll notice them gradually lose their edge, especially if you’re box clipping (you need REALLY sharp blades to get a good finish with box). Use the Niwaki Sharpening Stones for best results (#1000 grit is best for general sharpening).
- Sharpen Secateurs every couple of weeks
- Sharpen Shears and Topiary Clippers EVERY TIME you use them - the difference is amazing
Niwaki Higurashi Range
Niwaki Higurashi Snips
Niwaki Higurashi Scissors
Spares & Accessories
Niwaki Daikiba Secateurs
Niwaki Mainichi Knife
Niwaki GR Pro Secateurs
Niwaki Hori Hori
Niwaki Forged Snips
Niwaki Kojima Work Jacket
Niwaki Tripod Ladder
Niwaki Garden Shears
Niwaki GR 210 Folding Saw