Jake's workshops at Harvard Farm are relaxed, fun, involving - and very serious. They involve a (digital) slide show, a tour around the garden at Harvard Farm, seasonal demos in Jake's tree nursery and a practical afternoon. You'll get a delicious hot lunch, a chance to meet like-minded people, and come away with the skills to start off your own Japanese style trees. A certain interest and confidence in pruning is taken for granted. This is a practical day: please bring secateurs and appropriate outdoor clothing.
Numbers are limited to around 12 per day. We can suggest nice B&B's in the area if you're coming far.
Harvard Farm, BA22 9SZ
- 10.00: Introduction & coffee
- Illustrated talk on Niwaki in Japan, and how the same techniques can be applied to English gardens. Q&A session
- Tour around the garden at Harvard Farm, looking at the topiary and Japanese pruning
- Hot lunch in the barn
- Tour of the nursery area, where we are field growing a small but unique collection of trees trained and shaped in Japanese styles.
- Practical demonstrations on trees, including training & clipping
- Individual participation - hands on.
- 4.00: Tea
Niwaki Tip: These courses fill up quickly!